Music Banter - View Single Post - The Urban 100 - 4 Years On (Now With Added Authors Commentary)
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2006, 07:23 PM   #123 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Think it`s about time I bought this back & tried to finish it......

32. PUBLIC ENEMY - IT TAKES A NATION OF MILLIONS TO HOLD US BACK (1988)

I was never really into hip hop , still not really although occasionally something will grab me.However there isn`t a single hip hop album that has grabbed me in the way this did.I remember the first time I ever heard Public Enemy & was blown away by the experience.At the time I was a dedicated metal kid & thought heavy meant loud guitars & wailing vocalists. This album was heavy on a whole new level.It made the lightweight breakdancing style hip hop I was familier with seem like a whole different genre altogether.Songs like Bring The Noise & Don`t Beleive The Hype were everything I wanted in my music at the time , loud , fast , aggressive & rebellious.I can`t beleive at the time I was expecting to find such things with bands like Cinderella or Vixen , I mean seriously , how f*cking deluded was I back then?

Favourite Songs - Don`t Believe The Hype , Bring The Noise , Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos , Rebel Without A Pause

31. NEW ORDER - REPUBLIC (1993)

I don`t know why but for some reason although this is one of New Orders biggest selling albums (maybe even the biggest I can`t be assed to check)It got a right hammering in the press.I like this album more than their late 80s stuff because it seems more song based.It`s like they`ve decided to write a few guitar anthems rather than club anthems.Maybe it`s because this was their first album away from Tony Wilson & Factory , In fact the song Times Change is about this.But the thing I love about this is the thing I love about New Order in general , Peter Hook`s basslines.Thats the thing about New Order that I love so much , just a couple of seconds into a song as soon as I hear him play I KNOW it`s a New Order song i`m listening to.The singles on this album were the best singles the band ever put out & my first ever taste of New Order which maybe why I love this album more than any of their other ones.

Favourite Songs - Regret , World , Ruined In A Day , Times Change

30. AIR - MOON SAFARI (1998)

Air are one of those bands that seemed to creep up on me & take me unawares.It`s like you listen to one song & like it , then another one comes along & you like that and so on & so on.I was actually surprised to find I own 5 Air albums without even realising it.When I was growing up my mother was a great fan of electronic music.It seemed most of the music she played would be instrumental albums made by either synths or electric pianos.So I guess that this album reminds me of being at home when I was 5 or 6 years old with my mother.Also this is the perfect chill out album , I wish I had a quid for everytime i`ve heard this passed out at 4am on someones sofa after a hard nights clubbing, this playing softly in the background with nobody really saying a word.This album brings back so many happy memories of people & of times spent having fun.Thats why I love Air & this album so much , happy memories with a band not afraid to experiment & do new things supplying the perfect soundtrack to it.

Favourite Songs - La Femme d'Argent , Sexy Boy , Kelly Watch The Stars , Remember

29. AEROSMITH - DRAW THE LINE (1977)

The last Aerosmith album with the original line up until they reformed & it`s an absolute belter. This is a band on the verge of breaking up taking out all their frustrations on the music.It`s an album full of songs perfomed by a band indulging in every rock n roll excess you could think of.There`s backstabbing , paranoia and frustration on every song. The lyrics are bitter & uncompromising , the music raw & abrasive. Aerosmith were never ever this hard again.This is the Aerosmith I want to remember , not the slick , glossy Aerosmith who makes songs for his daughters movies.I want the hedonistic , funky, blues based band who didn`t give a sh*t that recorded this album , but I doubt it`ll ever happen while they`re playing lightweight ballads written by Diane Warren. Makes you wonder why they bothered reforming at all.

Favourite Songs - Draw The Line , I Wanna Know Why , Sight For Sore Eyes , The Hand That Feeds

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote