Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Favorite Quotes!
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #120 (permalink)
Chiomara
mayor of spookytown

Jane Eyre:

You shall tear yourself away, none shall help you: you shall, yourself, pluck out your right eye: yourself cut off your right hand: your heart shall be the victim; and you, the priest, to transfix it.

‘You think all existence lapses in as quiet a flow as that in which your youth has hitherto slid away. Floating on with closed eyes and muffled ears, you neither see the rocks bristling not far off in the bed of the flood, nor hear the breakers boil at their base. But I tell you–and you may mark my words–you will come some day to a craggy pass of the channel, where the whole of life’s stream will be broken up into whirl and tumult, foam and noise: either you will be dashed to atoms on crag points, or lifted up and borne on by some master wave into a calmer current–as I am now.’

My nerves vibrated to those low-spoken words as they had never vibrated to thunder–my blood felt their subtle violence as it had never felt frost or fire: but I was collected, and in no danger of swooning. I looked at Mr. Rochester: I made him look at me. His whole face was colourless rock: his eye was both spark and flint. He disavowed nothing; he seemed as if he would defy all things. Without speaking; without smiling; without seeming to recognise in me a human being, he only twined my waist with his arm, and riveted me to his side.

‘I never met your likeness. Jane: you please me, and you master me–you seem to submit, and I like the sense of pliancy you impart; and while I am twining the soft, silken skein round my finger, it sends a thrill up my arm to my heart. I am influenced–conquered; and the influence is sweeter than I can express; and the conquest I undergo has a witchery beyond any triumph I can win.’

‘Good angels be my guard! She comes from the other world–from the abode of people who are dead; and tells me so when she meets me alone here in the gloaming! If I dared I’d touch you to see if you are substance or shadow, you elf!–but I’d as soon offer to take hold of a blue ignis fatuus light in a marsh.’
Chiomara is offline   Reply With Quote