Music Banter - View Single Post - Stupid Things Fake Music Lovers Say
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #117 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiii View Post
How on earth does a ****storm happen on a thread that started because I had a stupid stoner thought. God damn.
Sometimes you just hit gold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Classic Billy.
Again, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post

Points two and four from that list of answer to your original question are genuine. Me disliking a prog band has more validity than you disliking an experimental, free jazz, noise, avant-garde classical, or free improvisation artist (like in the scenario that you describe) because I enjoy the genre of the band that I'm listening to. It's not something I approach in trepidation. You not liking the album may be more of a product of you genuinely not understanding what you're hearing due to a limited vocabulary with that kind of music. It would be like me listening to R&B: I don't like most of the genre so I don't listen to much of it. If I were to throw on some kind of ultra revered classic for the first time, I might dislike it because of how I feel about the conventions of the genre itself. So if a person who loves R&B checks it out and hates it, it would be more valid than my opinion because they understand what the artist wants to do more than I would.
You know, I'm going to give you this one. This is actually a very good explanation and I think it's correct. Never really thought of it that way. But then I do wonder what prog rock you claim you listen to, as you tend to disparage just about any prog I speak about. However
Quote:
Point four kind of speaks for itself but if you want evidence, *gestures at this very conversation*.
I would certainly have considered myself close-minded four or more years agi but I think I've opened up a lot since then, so even if I'm not as willing to experience all the genres and sub-genres you would want me to, I'd appreciate if you would at least acknowledge the progress I've made. After all, I used never to even think of listening to black metal, now I quite like some of it, just as an example. That to me does not speak of a closed mind.

Quote:

He doesn't make music by his own admission. Respect the artist!
When did he say that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
I think that's fine. You can like a shirt for the design and not know anything about the band/movie. Same thing goes for movie as well. If I do that and I get stopped by too many people asking me that question, I will go in a bathroom and turn it inside out.

I actually doubt I would wear a t-shirt either of a band I didn't like or know, or one I had not heard. But that's just me. I mean, why wear it if you don't know or like them? In essence, you're giving them free advertising. Movies, I don't know. I've never worn anything associated with a movie, but I think I'd probably feel the same way.