Music Banter - View Single Post - Stupid Things Fake Music Lovers Say
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #135 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Pretty much all the classics except for ELO and Genesis, and that includes bands that I don't consider prog like Tull and Floyd. Avant-prog, zeuhl, krautrock, the "traditional prog" sound so long as it isn't too derivative, brutal prog (though tbh I don't know as much about this genre as I'd like to), Canterbury Scene, rock in opposition, and other sub genres. I really don't like neoprog or new age driven stuff, and symphonic prog has to be really something for me to like it (like Yes, King Crimson, Camel, and occasionally, Moody Blues), so that's probably why we disagree a lot on bands like Marillion, Steve Wilson, or Mike Oldfield, among others.
TBH I would really not consider ELO prog, though I love them. Maybe El Dorado but that's about it. They're about as prog as Supertramp, and that's not much. We may end up dovetailing a little more when I get deeper into the history of prog in my journal, who knows? We may even end up liking similar bands.

Oh, and Oldfield prog? Gimme a break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Billy is my new pet nickname for Frowny's snarky, pretentious, "I know more than you, and this is why you're wrong" persona.

Feel free to adopt it for your own use.
Oh
Quote:
Jethro Tull are the very definition of progressive rock on albums like Thick as a Brick, A Passion Play, and Minstrel in the Gallery.
What little Tull I've heard always sounded more folk than prog.
Quote:
I actually have a hard time labeling The Moody Blues as a progessive rock band. They definitely had their moments but used a traditional pop/rock song format more often than not.

It's almost like anyone who was using a mellotron back in the early 70s immediately got the prog label attached to them.
The Moodies did have the first few proper concept albums, so it's hard not to label them prog, though I agree sometimes they just sound normal pop/rock. I mean, "I'm just a singer in a rock'n' roll band" prog? Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiii View Post
How about getting back on topic.
No.