Music Banter - View Single Post - What Did President Trump Do Now?
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 01:24 PM   #3570 (permalink)
riseagainstrocks
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Conservatism is the NEW Counter-Culture
So PJW and the InfoWars brigade get into a fight with their ideological opposites on twitter and tumblr and think he's winning a "culture war" because of his anecdotal data of being buried in positive messages from teenagers.

Got it.

Culture is certainly shifting, but at as long as Republicans, and by extension, the alt-right, consider themselves a bulwark against godless liberalism, Islamic degeneracy, and all the other buzzwords and phrases they use, aren't they claiming the center of Western culture? Using his phraseology, it seems they, by definition can't be a "counter-culture" as they're attempting to reclaim a "pure" culture as opposed to one that's been polluted by outsiders. In his view, liberalism is counter to American culture - popularity of the movement is irrelevant, especially considering the 'reclamation' identity Trumpism has engendered.

What I don't understand is how people like yourself (nonsense myopia trolling aside, you make generally interesting/cogent posts) can't separate the hysterical hyperbole of the SJWs, who I agree are obnoxious and borderline totalitarian, from the core of the animating issue, namely social libertarianism. Individual freedom to marry. Check. Individual freedom to identify as male, female, other, Check. Individual freedom to congregate with people who think like you and have discussions, marches, parties, prayer groups, etc. Check.

It's like PJW and large swaths of his fan base have seen a couple YouTube videos featuring women calling for male genocide and have determined that every self-identified liberal/feminist agrees with that; which is absolute nonsense. I'm happy to debate policy with anyone, but I'm tired of being lumped in with a vanishingly small minority of "liberals" so wrapped up in identity politics that they have become the very thing they purportedly oppose.

If you have an element of PJW's philosophy that you agree with and would like to discuss, I'd be happy to. My experience is anecdotal to be sure, but there seems to be a malicious glee taken in upsetting other people. I see the movement as one of disaffection, filled with personal grievances and lashing out at those formerly in "power" (cue *liberaltears.meme*). What am I missing?

Last edited by riseagainstrocks; 03-30-2017 at 01:35 PM.