Music Banter - View Single Post - Spanish Music
Thread: Spanish Music
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #132 (permalink)
Zaqarbal
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ HaHa. Thanks Zaqarbal ! " Dirty blues with a sinister edge" sounded too good to resist, so I listened to Guadalupe Plata even though they weren't my first music of the day.

All the tracks are great, and your description is pretty accurate. I particularly liked Ratas and Milana, with the crazy singer. On that track, I thought that around 1:35 was simultaneously the best bit of the music and the worst bit of the video, but that's just my opiniĆ³n. What do you think? The standout track for me though is Filo de Navaja, with that cool base tying down the wild guitar. I'll certainly be putting some GP into my music files - thanks
Actually I just copied that description from El Intercambio's post itself. Anyway, it's fascinating to see how three Andalusians play that style of music with such a passion. In fact, Milana videoclip humorously alludes to that. The presenter, with a strong Andalusian accent, introduces Guadalupe Plata as an American band.

The good Spanish musicians use to have a great ability to import, assimilate and mix all kind of genres, and to adapt them to Spanish language. For instance, in the 80's certain bands made a kind of new hispanization (splendid, by the way) of American classic rock-&-roll and rockabilly:

Spoiler for Six vids:

The thing is that it sounded amazingly natural to the Spanish-speaking audience. And it's not easy at all to achieve that result. It has a lot of merit. Due to words' length, it's very difficult to make a good rock or pop song in Spanish (at least much more difficult than doing it in English). However, if the artist in question is really talented, everything is possible.