Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 05:14 AM   #3261 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

OK, well let's put this in context. I currently have in excess of seventy discographies to be reviewed. That's not seventy albums, it's seventy full discographies. You could be talking in the region of anywhere from 300 to over 700 plus albums. My choice, yes, but that's a whole hell of a lot of work. I'm trying to get through them at some sort of pace - not rush them, but I certainly don't have the time to go through each track on every album in depth. You'll note I made no reference to the incestuous nature of Prince's "Sister" or even the deeper meanings behind "Automatic". The point is that I have to give here an overall view of the album as a whole, and move on to the next. I don't have the time or the desire to delve deeply into lyrics and meanings.

Apart from that, up until Hounds of Love I find it very hard to even understand what Kate is singing, so making out lyrics is not easy. I could pull up lyric sheets, but as I said, I just want to give an overall sense of the album, and for me, a brief description will do. I don't know the history behind her music, so this is the best I can do with the time I've got. If that's not good enough for you, well all I can do is suggest you take on even one discography and see how deeply you can get into it. Then multiply the time and effort that took by seventy. Oh, and don't forget my thirty-odd discogs in my prog journal, Game of Thrones, the History of Cartoons and all the other stuff I'm dealing with. I do the best I can but I literally don't have the time to drill down into every song on every album.

I understand she's one of your favourite artistes, and those with favourites whom I feature here may feel similarly short-changed at my treatment of them, but then again, consider those who are not interested in, say, Kate Bush and are waiting for, say Death Grips. And then, consider too that they may believe my reviews of that artiste insufficient. So I just do the best I can, but while I would like to of course go more in-depth into her (ooer! Wouldn't we all?) I simply don't have that luxury, and so this is how it has to be.

tl;dr Sorry I don't have time and can only give a sense of each song on each album, then move on. That's how I'm doing this.

Last edited by Trollheart; 04-04-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote