Music Banter - View Single Post - Do Other Countries Deal With The Same Issues That America Deals With?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Is the leprechaun infestation as bad as they say?
Sure faith and begorrah tis terrible, so 'tis.

I guess I should qualify on racism. Irish people are, you might be surprised to find, historically one of the most racist peoples out there. Might come from dealing with the English so much, or the signs No Blacks, Irish or Dogs when some of ours emigrated and went to the UK. But we're kind of relaxed about it: you don't find so much of the race-on-race crime/violence, though there is some. Generally, Irish people will get into a punchup on the slimmest of pretexts, and it usually has nothing to do with race. I remember a line on a very popular drama crime series, Love/Hate, where one guy, on seeing an oriental lad look over, goes "What's your ****in problem? **** off back to China, you Japanese bastard!"

Races tend to co-exist better in Ireland, and though there is still that underlying tone of xenophobia here it's kept mostly in check, and I think you would search long to find an instance of a race riot here. Riots over pubs running out of beer, now that's another story!