Music Banter - View Single Post - Do Other Countries Deal With The Same Issues That America Deals With?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 02:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiii View Post
Guns seems to be an America issue. Not sure why. Do other countries have a "deep South" like we do? Like rednecks and the like?
Every country "sub-divides": we have Dublin as the Capital (the Big Smoke) and anyone outside that are rednecks, culchies, muck savages etc. But it's a friendly rivalry mostly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
And honestly sometimes I think that a lot of other places in the world don't have as publicized a history of racism, so the bull**** is allowed to simmer under the surface where it can be ignored or swept under the rug far easier.
I think it also helps when you're in a country that has not oppressed any other country in its history, and which has in fact been the subject of oppression and occupation for much of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiii View Post
This is the most non-American thing I've ever read.
You'll get that here, too, mostly anywhere. People in general are friendly and they'll have more questions for you than suspicions. Irish people won't care if you voted for Trump or not, he's like a big pixie to us. He's over there and we're over here and we really don't tend to think of him much, except in a "Oh that Trump! Mine's a Harp lager!" kind of way.

Guns are definitely not an issue here. The gangs have them, some (not all) of the police (Garda) have them, but your average person does not carry. You can get them if you know the right people, apparently, but nobody other than the police would openly display a gun in a public place. Not even a crim.