Music Banter - View Single Post - Bitesize: Trollheart's Daily Album Mini-Reviews
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #301 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Artiste: David Roberts
Nationality: ?
Album: Better Late Than Never
Year: 2011
Label: Avenue of Allies Music
Genre: AOR
Tracks:
Best thing I never had
Better late than never
Someone else's song
Before I go
Stay with me tonight
Be gentle with my heart

Eighth wonder
This is how I say goodbye
If I woulda been there
What I've been missing
Chronological position: Second album
Comments: Try as I might, I have not been able to find a scrap of information on this guy. Even the nationality tag on Discogs says “Europe”. Thanks a lot! So I've no idea who he is, if he was with some big AOR band, or if he's even still alive. No thanks to Wiki or even Google, who keep sending me to the wrong pages. Anyway, this is his second album and I'm in the mood for some AOR I've not heard before. Fergie Frederiksen was a real find a few years back, so maybe we'll hit gold again. Or regret ever hearing the name David Roberts. Meh, nothing really grabbing me so far. “Stay with me tonight”, though a nice ballad, borrows way too much of its melody from Steinman's big hit for Air Supply, “Making love out of nothing at all” to impress me on its own merits. “Be gentle with my heart” reminds me of another song (Richard Marx's “Quit playing games with my heart” I think) and “Eighth wonder” is just terrible. I'm hearing a hodge-pog of third-rate AOR, disco and some soft rock/pop; almost a pastiche of everything that is bad in the genre. This guy ain't no Fergie! Oh, and a trite Country ballad to end. Sigh.
Intention: Never again