Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #526 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Museum Mouth - Popcorn Fish Guinea Pig

File Under: contemporary emo power pop

This is not a bad record. Nothing repulsive or grating. But certainly not a record I'd describe as captivating, intriguing, novel, or explorative. It has a generic feel and none of the tracks are particularly memorable. Still, tracks like "History's Mysteries" and "Lacquer" are decent efforts of noise pop, (though the latter is instantly reminiscent of The Fly's "Got You Where I Want You"). They remain faithful to all of the genre's tropes, but there's just not anything that really grabs the listener here, possibly due to the less-than-stellar vocals and lyricism of vocalist and drummer, Karl Kuehn.

Don't get me wrong - I didn't mind leaving it on for its full duration. The college-rock-heyday dreamy elements were indeed enjoyable. And the production value was consistent with that of its genre mates. And the album ends on a splendid high note - "The Big Stairs" might be the best track on the record.

What the album lacks in novelty it makes up for in its pulls to the listener's nostalgic 90s heartstrings.

6.5/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists

Last edited by innerspaceboy; 04-07-2017 at 07:00 PM.
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote