Music Banter - View Single Post - Getting Wasted With Style: Frownland's Beer Journal
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
My only good beer story. Back in 1977-78 Coors beer was only available in a very limited area of the midwest since it all came out of the original Rocky Mountain brewery. There was lots of stories of how amazing it was. (Frownland, hold back on the snark for a moment - this was 40 years ago when Narragansett was considered a great beer by the New England populace).

A member of my band at that time had a relative who worked for Coors and she had them ship a couple of warm cases right out of the barrel to us. We let them chill for a day before cracking the first bottle.

HOLY CRAP! I saw Jesus that night as the 5 of us drank all 48 beers. It was so freaking good. Didn't have another Coors for about 6-7 years, when they finally went national - and it sucked. Not even close. Guess all the processing they had to do for huge distribution squeezed out all of the awesomeness.
Ja, Coors is disgusting (albeit the better of American premium beers) but I can imagine that like most brewers, they started off solid and rode that success wave all the way to the bland, industrialized crap we see today. Fresh beer straight from the barrel can be a different story as well. I've had a Budweiser from one of Anheier-Busch beer gardens that was served on tap from barrels and it was actually pretty solid. That is the only time you will ever hear me say anything nice about Budweiser.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote