Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 12:02 AM   #542 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

Museum Mouth
Popcorn Fish Guinea Pig

Full disclosure: When I first saw the artist name, album title and album art, I was prepared for some blase, twee indie "rock". I figured at some point in their history they were invited in to neuter Two Tickets to Paradise for an episode of AV Undercover. Long story short: I put off my review because I just had a bad feeling about it.

I've listened to it a few times now and I have to say, it's a nice album. Not good, not bad. But nice. It never over-commits to being too noisy, poppy, dance-punky or psychedelic. I guess you could argue that they're being very middle-of-the-road and blase by doing that, but for me it feels more like a band that's trying to explore their sound, and isn't married to any specific one. The variety isn't bold, but it's apparent between each track and that's a positive. It's also mellow, but not lifeless, which is a trap that I feel like a lot of hipster indie bands fall into. This is mellow, but it sounds like the band actually gives some semblance of a fuck about the music they're playing. As the same time, there really isn't anything all that memorable on here, and that's no bueno for me. It's probably been about 30 minutes since my 3rd and most recent listen and I can't think of anything that stuck out and made we want to remember it.

I find the album pleasant enough to listen to, but I don't find myself wanting to listen to it more or having any particular track stick with me since I started listening on Friday. To kinda repeat myself, it's not dull, but there's not enough there for me to say that I liked or disliked any particular track. I will give it some credit because the bar for me going in was buried 10 feet below the ground, and this album cleared it.

5.9999999999999999999999/10