Music Banter - View Single Post - When did getting gig tickets become such a pain in the a**?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 05:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

To return to the OP, this is not a new thing. I haven't been to gigs for about fifteen years now, even more, and when I did go you had to jump on tickets the moment they were announced on sale. Even if the gig was a year in the future (I like travelling to the future a lot) you had to go NOW, because they would sell out in often hours, sometimes minutes, depending on the popularity. A lot of them got block-booked, and if you went in with an intention to buy later you were ****ed.

When I was younger, you'd go to HMV (record store) queue up and get your tickets, go home and keep them ready. Try doing that today and you'll immediately be told "sold out". I remember one of the guys at work wanted to go to see Springsteen, but couldn't even get through on the ticket line, so for two or three hours we all took turns, hitting the phones like crazy. Eventually he got his tickets, but that was typical of the struggle to get tickets. I had given up long ago.

Oh, and if you don't have a credit card, good luck getting tickets.