Music Banter - View Single Post - When did getting gig tickets become such a pain in the a**?
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Yeah, I remember having to physically go to a box office or music store to buy tickets. The fact that you can almost always buy them online now makes it way more convenient than it used to be.
Well it is and it isn't. When you had to buy physical tickets there was a whole lot less of the block-booking, and even then, they kept a small supply of tickets back. I remember my boss telling me that he was in line for (I can't remember, but he was a Bowie fan so let's say) a Bowie concert. The guy in front of him bought like ten tickets or something. Springsteen was playing as well but sold out. The guy says "I've just given you like a thousand quid (or whatever) over the counter: you got any Springsteen tickets?" The assistant reaches under the desk and takes out two tickets and lets him buy them. You just couldn't do that online. I guess that's the power of bulk buying, and it multiplies exponentially once you get to online ticket sales. As I said, these days if you don't get your tickets within a max of an hour after they go on sale, you're SOL.