Music Banter - View Single Post - What do people think of Vivaldi?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 08:07 AM   #69 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollhead View Post
His stuff now a days is, mostly made artistically vapid by the fact you can listen to whichever of his works you wish as often as you wish; and a lot of it sounds the same.
It's a shame when people "blame him" for that though.
I often feel a lot of these composers would have written differently had they known how music would be consumed in the future.
His 'Gloria' is a lovely work to sing. (both becasue it's well voice led, AND a great piece of music)
Welcome to MB, Dollhead

I agree with your comments about music reproduction. We often forget that classical composers never imagined the extent to which their music could be heard over and over again by a general audience. They probably assumed that, musicians apart, people might hear their music a handful of times during their lives. That must've affected what they composed. I think Vivaldi wrote great material in as much as you can catch his main ideas and enjoy them at the first listen - so perhaps a happier concert experience than some of those romantic heavy-weights.

For the record, I think Vivaldi was at his best when he played violin for Curved Air:-