Music Banter - View Single Post - Memes: A Look Into This New Common Form of Media
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Are memes art? Stupid question, but kind of a real one too.
This is actually not a stupid question at all. If we look at it from the point of view of something like you're looking at a painting or a stone like structure of sorts, you'll think that memes can't be considered art. However if we look at the term definitively:

Quote:
the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination, typically in a visual form such as painting or sculpture, producing works to be appreciated primarily for their beauty or emotional power.
You'll come to find that memes can actually be considered a form of art in the same way a TV show, a movie, or even self made music can be considered art. Let's look at it in the same light. Memes brings a sense of emotional power abroad that you could get from other creative outlets like paintings and photography. Just because they're more seen as a joke, I don't see why you couldn't seriously consider them art. Especially since a lot of them I would consider works of art for their creativity and ability to make me laugh.

Memes allow people, more-so creative people to let their minds take control, and with this comes the birth of something so creative that you wished you had thought of it yourself. There have been discussions revolving around this whether or not they can be considered art. But with the definition blatantly stating that a form of art is "the expression or application of human creative skill", it's literally impossible to believe otherwise. Even though memes may not seem like it, these are the modern times, and with things like Youtube videos and again, personal made music being considered art, I don't see why memes couldn't fit into the same category. So yes, I do believe they are considered an art, albeit an obscure definition of said art.
Key is offline   Reply With Quote