Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 PM   #582 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

The Gris Gris
The Gris Gris

I wish I could give a longer review of this, but it's been a hectic week. I work at a museum and April break is coming up and I've spent all week prepping for our break week programs.

Basically, the quieter/acousticy/shoegazish parts of this record reminded me of stuff like BJTM's Anemone, and the rockier parts reminded me of a litany of late 60's psychedelic bands. But the one that I probably identified Gris Gris with the most was the 13th Floor Elevators. Gris Gris had just the right amount of stomp and an underlying darkness in their sound that made me identify them more with the Texas psychedelic rock bands (Elevators, Moving Sidewalks) than their California counterparts.

We've listened to a lot of bands in this club that have added psychedelic splashes to their music, and while Gris Gris are definitely adding more than a splash, it's probably been the one I've most enjoyed. I do think the album ends on a bit of a whimper with the last two tracks, but everything before then is high quality.

8.5/10