Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #586 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Who woulda thunk Batty would be into Country? Well, I know since he discovered Townes van Zandt he's had something of a Country fetish, and we've heard him wax lyrical about Dolly, so maybe, but still, on the face of it an odd choice for the Batlord. He's full of surprises. Right off the bat (sorry) I'll say this is not my kind of Country. Batty has mentioned “outlaw” Country before and I certainly agree with him it's the best – your Willie Nelsons, your Hank Williamses, your Merle Haggards – and this is nowhere close to Outlaw Country. If anything, it's cheesy as ****, almost showband with Country thrown in, but it's a decent album for all that.

1. What were your VERY FIRST impressions on listening to the album, say from the first five minutes in?
Well I know this song, so it's a good start.

2. What did you think of the opening track?
I know “I fall to pieces” and she sings it well. Kind of restrained musically, as much of the rest of the album will not be.

3. What did you think of the next track?
Nah, not really me. Bit too cutesy-poo and hardly Country at all.

4. Did you like the vocalist? Hate him/her? Any impressions? (see note 1)
It's ****ing Patsy Cline!

5. Did the music (only) generally appeal to you, or not? (see note 2)
Not my kind of Country, though not too bad. A bit too showband-y and too much in the way of backing vocalists/almost choirs for my tastes.

6. Did the album get better or worse as you listened to it (first time)?
Better, often, but really dipped on some tracks. Generally better though.

7. What did you think of the lyrical content?
Basic love songs put to a Country theme. No songs about dust bowls or bar-room fights here!

8. Did you like the instrumental parts? (see note 3)
Generally, not really. This is Country without any teeth or balls. Sorry Patsy!

9. What did you think of the production?
You know me and production...

10. Did you know of this artiste prior to listening to the album, and if so, did that foreknowledge colour your perception of this album?
Who hasn't heard of Patsy C?

11. Is this, generally, the kind of music you listen to or not?
I do listen to some Country but it has more balls than this.

12. Assuming you listened to the album more than once, on repeated listens, did you find you liked the album more, or less?
About the same really; having heard it once I only needed two more listens – one after the other – to form my opinion. I knew it wouldn't change with extended listens.

13. What would you class as your favourite track(s), if you have any?

“I fall to pieces”, “Crazy”, “The wayward wind”, “South of the border” (I prefer Slim Whitman's version though), “I love you so much it hurts”, “True love”

14. And the one(s) you liked least?
“Foolin around”, “Seven lonely days”, “San Antonio Rose”, “Walking after midnight”

15. If the album in question is a debut, did that fact allow it, in your mind, any leeway, and if so, was that decision justified or vindicated? (see note 4)
n/a

16. Are you now looking forward to hearing more from this artiste, if you have not heard any of their other material?
No. This was enough and I wouldn't be interested in hearing any more.

17. Were you surprised by your reaction - positive or negative - to the album?
Sort of; I thought I would like it more, but it's just too cheesy even for me, and even for Country.

18. Did the album end well?

It was ok; song was a bit weak for a closer.

19. Do you see any way the album could have been improved?

No. There's nothing wrong with the album, it's just to me it's a case of it's Country, Jim, but not as we know it.

20. Do you think the album hung together well, ie was a fully cohesive unit, or was it a bit hit-and-miss?
It was a bit of a mixed bag, so from that point of view not too cohesive really.
I'd give it a Like, and a 6/10