Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 AM   #634 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
This is frankly a ridiculous statement. You actually believe there are albums that are above criticism because of their legendary status? I believe every album, every book, every film, anything should be open to honest criticism: status should not preclude that. I think ISB's reaction to the album is perfect: coming from a position of not knowing anything about it or the artist, he did not know how he was "supposed" or "expected" to react and so gave an honest, unvarnished opinion, which I applaud. I did know about her, and afforded her that respect, but said the album was not for me. That's honest criticism, and I can't see how or why that should be stymied just because the album is a classic.

I personally said there was nothing wrong with the album, just that I didn't like it. If I want female Country music I'll go for Tammy, Dolly, Emmylou or Crystal, thanks. Just not my cup of tea, and that should be, and is, my right to say, without worrying about pissing off someone who thinks the album should be "unassailable". What a crazy idea! An unassailable album! An album beyond criticism! Good Lord.

I run a journal called Classic Albums I Have Never Heard and I've dissed more classics in there than you've made angry posts. Not because I wanted to, but because I didn't like them, or they didn't appeal to me. I would have no problem with someone not liking or criticising an album I considered to be a classic (Dark Side of the Moon maybe, or something like that) and would not say "Hey! You can't do that! It's a classic!"

Ridiculous.

I recently reviewed Sinatra's In the Wee Small Hours, which comes top of the 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die list, and I didn't like it. I acknowledged its pedigree, sure, but that didn't automatically make me like it. Nothing should be above honest criticism, otherwise what is the point?

tealdeer: everything should be open to criticism, regardless of status. No sacred cows.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote