Music Banter - View Single Post - Kendrick Lamar - DAMN - Album Discussion
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #237 (permalink)
Lucem Ferre
Cuter Than Post Malone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Printer noise is a lot more interesting than flat and tepid beats.

So you dig cliched music, that's fine. I fault things for that. When you say artists I like, I'm guessing you're referring to RTJ right? They usually make up for it with interesting beats, something you will fail to find on this album if you hired a private detective. You're right that cliches aren't inherently bad and are sometimes used often for a good reason. This is not one of those times.

I only said that in the face of you pretending that Kendrick was being innovative here. That's not to mention that I know he can do way better, so this album comes off as pretty lazy when it sounds like it could have been canned and sold to another artist for an equally mediocre record. If you don't consider giving up ambitious ideas in favour of dull pop songs (objective btw) to be sacrificing artistic integrity, well maybe you just don't understand what I mean by that phrase. Above all this record just varies from tricking me into thinking it might be a good album (DNA.) to terrible to offensively meh. 1 good track means that I rate it 1/14. Come away with that.

EDIT: Listening again now. Still think DNA is a banger. Still a lot of plain horrible tracks. I like his rapping on FEEL but why do they have to do that thing where they make the beat as boring as possible? That Rihanna track needs to find its way off the album. Pride just kind of happens, doesn't reach the level of offensively dull, it's just dull. The beat on Humble is a little more exciting, but his rapping sounds really forced here. Lust - why does he sing like that? Why? You get the idea, I'm turning this **** off.
No, man, I'm just being an overly defensive douche, you have valid reasons. You find the beats boring and the hooks cringe worthy while I don't.
Lucem, you're right, it's silly to talk about what I would or wouldn't do IRL. Glad you brought it up. Maybe you should write an instrumental about it. I recommend a piano paired with a clarinet. With ambient sounds of you hanging from your shower curtain you ****ing failure.

Art Is Dead. Buy My ****.
Lucem Ferre is offline   Reply With Quote