Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Top 50 Albums
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #243 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
Strange and interesting set of albums, (I hope that doesn't come across as a left-handed compliment) I like strange and interesting. Most of those bands are in my blind spot music-wise. I recognize eight bands by name, half of which I am vaguely fimiliar with their music. I definitely like Fleetwood Mac and Christopher Cross. Sailing is one of the greatest songs ever recorded imo. I might listen to Steely Dan and Boz Scaggs out of curiosity.
No, I get what you mean completely. You are right on the money. All of these albums are either what I consider to be the "best" the genre has to offer or they cross into more interesting territory than just "soft" rock. For instance-

Young Gun Silver Fox - Motown R&B, soul / funk, plus soft rock and a bit of acid rock. West End Coast covers a wide spectrum of 70's California in general. It was also the #1 pop album of the year for 2016 over at PopMatters.com

Ole Borud - style falls into a mix between Westcoast rock, classic Stevie Wonder and the stuff that Justin Timberlake was doing on The 20/20 Experience. Dude has a miraculous voice.

Geyster - basically a Todd Rundgren-esque producer/singer/songwriter from France who does synthwave mixed with soft rock. He sings in English though and it works especially well on the album I listed.

Tim Cashion - former keyboardist for Grand Funk Railroad. Find Us On The Dial sounds a bit like Beach Boys circa 1970 mixed with Steely Dan at times. Great singer and guitarist too.

I could go on awhile, but the general idea is that my list includes albums that even a genre enthusiast would miss but have great crossover power. Enjoy.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote