Music Banter - View Single Post - The Rest in Peace Thread (RIP)
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #2645 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

That's a nice letter from Dweezil Zappa, Chula.
"I'm sorry you had to hear that."

Yes, rostasi, you're right about the constant line-up changes in Soft Machine, and their sound shifted gears again and again: but I'm sure Bundles was the first time they had any extended electric guitar soloing. It was certainly quite a surprise to me; first time I heard the album I thought, "Well, now they just sound like everybody else!" But then, my musical appreciation is not what you'd call perceptive. I couldn't tell you, for instance, what this bit from Dweezil's letter means:
Quote:
His ability to effortlessly move through rhythmic contours with harmonic variety....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostasi View Post
I play that Gazeuse! album (or later, Expresso) often in Plug. Nice example of Holdsworth in a more worthy setting.
One of the other nice things about this album, from a Holdsworth perspective, is that it occurs during the 4 or so years
of his acoustic period in the late '70s which you can hear being played in the last segment of "Shadows Of"
(the improved, re-worked version of the tune "Velvet Darkness") and the cut dedicated to Mireille Bauer, "Mireille."
^ And I play it often in my car! , with Percolations being my favourite track. The acoustic guitar parts work very well on that album because they provide a welcome change, from intensity to intimacy, or that's how it seems to me.
And thanks for the upload and the stats on AH's acoustic performances btw.

( Anyone who posts "Stop being a d*ck" should stop being a d*ck. oops)