Music Banter - View Single Post - What is the best, cheap, beginner electric guitar one could buy?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2017, 02:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Adlhoch View Post
I want to buy a cheap, beginner electric guitar. Give some valuable suggestion to me.

Thanks in advance.
I bought a Squier Bullet Stratocaster at pawn shop, just as a project guitar. The guitar was a hot mess. The action (string height) was horrible, the neck was like a ski slope. I literally took everything apart and cleaned it. I used Windex to get rid of some glue residue, and Turtle Wax to polish the chrome. Then I put it back together using 10s (string gauge). I kept adjusting the tremolo springs and saddles until I got at a fairly decent playable string height. It sounded better than I except, and sounded very close to a Strat. Basically you can always improve a cheap guitar, and it's always good to know someone who can set it up for you.

After listening to Dick Dale I decided to put 12s ( a thicker string gauge) on it and it even sounded better, however it made it tougher to play. I kinda wish I held out for a MiM Stratocaster, because Squier Bullet parts are not interchangeable with other Fender parts, thus killing all project ideas I had for it. It ended up for a time as my lay-about the house practice guitar always within arms reach.

Finding the right guitar you like comes down to trial & error. Try as many guitars as you can before you settle choosing one.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote