Music Banter - View Single Post - Blank Does Whatever He Damn Well Pleases
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 10:51 AM   #304 (permalink)
Blank.
Jacob Sartorius

Time to review the next album. Samsara Blues Experiments' Long Distance Trip from 2010 (Psychedelic Rock, Stoner Rock, Jam Band, Heavy Psych, Raga Rock)

This album has the Stoner Rock tag on RYM which means this could end up being a personal favorite of mine. Or something I think takes the genre in a negative direction. Let's see shall we.

Singata (Mystic Queen) - Album starts off with some Indian style instrumentals and moves into regular stoner riffing. Really good chill stuff. This seems to have a lot of heavy bass. And some vocals come in. Nothing super creative. Seems like their vocalist is a bit self conscious about his vocals and is trying to hide his difficiencies behind the music. Which is a negative for me. I like the vocals to be up front so I can sing along. More Indian instrumentals as the track winds down. I think that's the Raga Rock in the genre tags.

Army of Ignorance - Track starts with guitar ripping through. Really enjoying this so far. It's just some stoner rock to melt your face with.

For the Lost Souls - Slow moving psychedelia. The riffing slowly moves back into some stoner rock. Vocals come in and we have the same issue I brought up earlier. Seems the vocals were short lived.

Center of the Sun - starts soft, but it's slowly building up. Vocals seem to have a much more prominent spot on the album.

Wheel of Life - We start with some acoustic guitar. Seems to be a track of acoustic. We get some waves come in and play as the acoustic guitar phases out.

Double Freedom - Last track and its twenty-two minutes long... I feel like when a track passes the fifteen minutes it's just a track of wankery. Let's see if this follows suit. We have some vocals over easy listening psychedelia. And now it goes into the Raga Rock. And explodes for some heaviness back to the easy listening. If it's twenty-two minutes of this, I'm OK with it. That was awesome. Here towards the end we get offered a vocal performance with what sounds like Jim Morrison stopped by the studio to do some lines.

Final thoughts: I like the album. I'd say the biggest issue I have with the album is the vocals being hidden. It doesn't really offer anything new to the genre though. This is just doing what Colour Haze did with Siena Root's Indian personality. Overall it's a great album that is quite a satisfying listen.

☆☆☆☆

Favorite Track - Army of Ignorance
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote