Music Banter - View Single Post - Blank Does Whatever He Damn Well Pleases
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 12:51 AM   #305 (permalink)
Blank.
Jacob Sartorius

Let's do a review from Ki's new project Cats with Hats' album Songs for the Living (Electronic, Experimental).

Spoiler for big pic:

It's no secret that I am a fan of Ki's music. But I'm yet to hear anything from this project. So lets see.

Candles - Oh, we have an Orchestral piece. Definitely experimental. Not like Psychephilia or #####. This is very haunting. It's moved into more of an upbeat feel.

Look Up - Well, I'm not sure what's happening. It's interesting.

Evasive - Soft slow music. Very ambient unlike the last two tracks. Very surreal sounding. I dig this a lot. Some haunting piano in the background. Is that a train? Has the journey only begun? I have to admit, this song just inspired an idea in me. This song might be Ki's best work so far.

Proceed with Caution - As this album progresses I feel like Ki is trying to tell us a story with music. Using the tonal shifts to tell us the emotion we should be feeling.

These songs are surreal and just beautifully constructed.

A Formal Dance - Starts with a Harmonica playing as move into what sounds like a distorted piano riff. This song slowly builds into an increasingly chaotic and angry song.

Final thoughts: Ki seems to take traditional song writing and deconstructs it. This album feels almost conceptual and beyond itself. There seems like a story being told to you in the madness. I'm probably over analyzing this but fuck it.
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote