Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2017, 08:05 AM   #19320 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy ''Frappanised'' Zappada View Post
Also great use of 'stylized direction', shot like an 18th century painting
Exactly - it really feels like you are watching something from the 18th century as a result. Kubrick is a master of visuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
Love pretty much all of those as well. I would have most definitely included TCM since that's probably my favourite classic horror movie that isn't The Shining, but I was posting stuff blankmind might not have known about. I probably would've added on Re-Animator as well.

Are you talking about the older version of The Mummy or the one with Brendan Frasier? I've only seen the latter.
Oh yeah! I should definitely have included Re-Animator. Although, I would recommend it to people who are already into horror movies - I've shown it to friends who just didn't "get" it. I included TCM because it seems obvious but I don't think people realize just how well made it was and they tend to lump it in with other slasher flicks. The atmosphere is so disturbing - the soundtrack consists of sounds from a slaughterhouse. It's used in a subtle way, but it definitely works its way into your subconscious. The first time I watched it, I popped it on expecting an easy Friday the 13th/Nightmare of Elm Street type watch but it scared the **** out of me. It first really hit me when the girl fell into the room with all the bone furniture...the way it was shot, I was able to put myself in her shoes and realized how incredibly terrifying that situation would be.

And I'm definitely talking about the original Mummy with Boris Karloff - the Brendan Fraser version is entertaining, but not a classic like the Karloff version. If you haven't seen it and you like the classics, it's a must-watch.