Music Banter - View Single Post - The Environmental Watchdog MasterThread
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainstrocks View Post
I would like to rescind my comments in 'The Great Global Warming Scandal' thread. I was 18 and as all 18 year olds, I was an idiot.

Climate Change is real, the natural, cyclical process has been accelerated by industry, and both mitigation and prevention strategies need to be implemented by all countries, but especially by those with the wealth and technological access to do so immediately.

A plan I like is a 5-10% tax on gasoline intended for use in personal automobiles, the proceeds of which directly fund climate research and mitigation plans. National average is around $2.32 a gallon. We can do $2.60.
^ Well done, riseagainstrocks ! You are like the prodigal son, a sinner who repents. Well done.
*puts on zombie voice*: You are one of us now

Here's a story that's a little stale, but indicates that small, carefully considered adjustments, like the tax riseagainstrocks mentions, can be very effective:

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ged-introduced

Main thrust of story; by charging for carrier bags, UK shops have cut the use of carrier bags, saving 6 billion tons of plastic per year. ( 6bn tons is the equivalent in weight of three hundred blue whales, apparently, and now they know how many bags it takes to fill the Albert Hall.)

I wonder what your carrier bag policies are, both personally and by country?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I think we owe Lisna thanks for putting this together. Well done, man.
Hey, thank you Trollheart! That means a lot - especially coming from such a consummate thread-starter as yourself!