Music Banter - View Single Post - Dream Theater Vs Pink Floyd
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 10:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
boo boo
Dr. Prunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger
Hmm the pioneers of psychadelia AND stadium rock vs a bunch of humourless musos who are more interested in wanking over their instruments than writing anything compelling.

Tough choice

Edit: would someone please explain to me why Dream Theater are considered 'progressive'
I thought overlong guitar solos & high pitched vocals went out in the 80s.Doesn`t progressive mean progressing in your music rather than sounding like a relic from 20 years ago.
I agree, i dont find Dream Theater all that progressive, i think Radiohead and The Mars Volta are way more progressive than Dream Theater...Of course this is something me and many other prog fans dont see eye to eye with.

Of all the progressive metal bands, i would say DT are the worst, they are certainly the least original, however they were the first band of this genre to get a good deal of popularity, but it pisses me off when DT fanboys confuse popularizing a genre with being innovative and original, because nearly every other prog metal band has more to offer than DT imo...Bands like Tool have originality on their side, because they dont have to rely on nothing but stealing ideas from old prog bands to be considered "prog"...This is not so for Dream Theater...Symphony X and Opeth are better recomended.

Pink Floyd by far, in fact the guy who made this comparison should be shot.

http://www.last.fm/user/kingboobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowquill View Post
I only listen to Santana when I feel like being annoyed.
I only listen to you talk when I want to hear Emo performed acapella.