Music Banter - View Single Post - Why does there seem to be a stigma attached to advocate for Men's Rights?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #658 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseagainstrocks View Post
I don't like when someone posts a YT video as an argument. But I'm going to because Dan Olsen is excellent at this:

Toxic masculinity is not a judgment on manhood, masculine attributes, etc. The video essay is fantastic and as someone who hasn't watched Fight Club since high school, I realize I had the conception of the film ass-backwards.
I watched a little bit of the video, and might finish it in a bit, but I just wanted to say that it sounds like I agree with it. Obviously there are societal influences on masculinity (and femininity) that are negative, but I think certain segments of people criticizing masculinity, men, the patriarchy, or whatever, are also demonizing masculinity as a whole whether they realize it or not. That I do not agree with.

I'm totally open to change in the concept of masculinity, but not a one-sided castigation of the entire concept that strips it of anything meaningful to men (and women too).

And as someone who read Fight Club as a mid-twenty-something, I seem to have interpreted it the same as the video. I don't know just how deep Chuck Palahniuk's philosophy was when he wrote it, but it's definitely first and foremost an expression of frustration with being a male in the 21st century that doesn't really try to tell you how you "should" act, so much as just expressing that frustration. Though I suspect it's even more about the author being gay and how that plays into his role as a male in society.

I wonder what all the cretins who watch the movie for the fight scenes would think if they knew the author was gay lol?
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote