Music Banter - View Single Post - GMOs
Thread: GMOs
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 06:55 PM   #97 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
It's nice read comments from someone who actually knows what they're talking about!
Thank you, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
Sure, people want details, but it seems the vast majority of them also want a label. Doesn't holding out make GMOs seem scary? Ultimately, I think people should have the choice to avoid them if they want to, whether their reasons for doing so are sound or not.

(For the record, I agree with you on the safety of GMOs and I'm personally indifferent on whether or not they're labelled. I just have to write a paper on this.)
Making poor choices just because you can shouldn't be enabled. It's like vaccines... Idiotic anti vaxxers think they live in an isolated bubble and their poor choice isn't going to affect other people. Herd immunity, folks.

My view on GMOs isn't so much the labeling as it is that we are separating GMO vs organic when they shouldn't be put in separate categories at all. I talked a bit about the monetary effect, but spreading fear about something completely unfounded is only going to hurt the poor uneducated folk of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
This was the same argument againt nutritional facts and calories on menu

Consumers have a right to know don't treat them like children
Nutrition information helps you make make informed decisions about your health (ie watching your calorie intake). It can be measured quantitatively. Telling someone it's a GMO won't add anything other than telling that person it's a GMO. It's a waste of money and will only freak people out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If GMOs are used as an excuse for the sort of **** Monsanto is getting up to in the US then I don't support their use. Also if corporate greed is the driving force behind research I have no trust in any findings saying how safe they are.
Monsanto's science is first rate. Their shady side comes out when they try to monopolize the industry with shady business practices.