Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 05-04-2017, 08:38 PM   #5328 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiiii View Post
But that's absolutely the entire problem. If we stick with the same notion that it needs to be played off so that people can understand it by stripping the very theme of everything it truly is, and only show the after effects, you're not going to get anywhere. TV show directors are far too afraid to let people into the deeper aspects of depression and suicide because they know for a fact that most of the world finds it to be something no more than the person simply complaining about their emotions. A TV show about it isn't going to change people's minds especially if that TV show is meant for teenagers. What's actually going to help is when people can stop feeling victimized for being depressed and having thoughts of suicide. You talk about people understanding, yet you use one of the few examples that completely combats your own point.

If you want a truly good look into depression, don't watch a TV show that caters to the marketing of it. Speak to someone in person and get their perspective. I bet your perspective will change. Also, if you've never dealt with depression to the point that you want to kill yourself, you can't say the TV show does a good job at portraying it. It doesn't.
Well, all I can say about that is you don't know my experiences. I've dealt with things in my life and I could relate to a lot of what was going on in the show. I don't think the point of the show was to delve into the mind of someone who is depressed but to get people to see that their actions have consequences. You can't dump reality on people who aren't ready for it, you need to ease them into it. And this show does that.