Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #790 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

Half Japanese
We Are They Who Ache With Amorous Love

This sounds like it was recorded on used wax cylinders (not necessarily a bad thing...). The highlights reminded me of stuff like I Heard Her Call My Name and that's one of my favorite VU songs, so that's cool. I definitely prefer dissonant and noisy to blase and twee, but the album spills over a bit too much into being atonal. That's where the album lost me. I get that not every track on here is like their cover of Gloria, but those tracks stick out a bit too much in a bad way. And while I like the muddy/non-atonal parts on the album overall, I didn't love or really like them and only make the handful of bad tracks stick out even more.

I do think it's interesting that we've done a decent handful of these sorta indie/garage albums (with varying other influences sprinkled in) and while I've felt differently about them, I've never had the urge to listen to them again after I've reviewed them. The same goes for this album. I've had three listens and I feel like I'm got everything that I'm going to get out of it.

5.5/10