Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #810 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
So, whatchu like about the album?
The overall atmosphere he's going for: New Age zen colliding with the hookiness of a good 90's alt rock, some Def Leppard touches here and there, the theatrics of progressive rock and bands like King's X plus the industrial underpinnings that he obviously loved about Fear Factory and Skinny Puppy (who are an influence on him). There are so many different sounds and ideas colliding all over Ocean Machine that it's hard to believe he was barely into his 20's when he put it together.

He wanted to create an album that could be heavy but at the same time wash over you. That's not gonna appeal to everyone, but that's part of the Townsend's charm and he puts an insane amount of work into what he does. The fact he recorded both this and City (another classic) in the same time period should be something that's appreciated instead of dismissed.

To me, this album is a useful measuring stick of sorts. It polarizes people and creates discussion due to it being an album that comprises a musical spectrum that your average MB user is prejudiced against. Going back earlier in this club, Batlord's Patsy Cline album brought about a good discussion for the very same reason.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 05-10-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote