Music Banter - View Single Post - Blank Does Whatever He Damn Well Pleases
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #316 (permalink)
Blank.
Jacob Sartorius

Today's review is Alanis Morisette's Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (1998) (Pop Rock, Alternative Rock, Singer/Songwriter, Post-Grunge)

Front Row - Starts with a chorus of Morissette singing before moving into some traditional post-grunge pop music. I dig.

Baba - starts off with some interesting guitar. Halfway through the track we get a melodic section before back into the grunge pop. This is a badass track.

Thank U - I remember this track. It's a good song.

Are You Still Mad - A simple piano riff with some singing on top of it. Drums come in and progress the track forward. I dig. Got some heavier guitar comes in... for like a second. Huh.

Sympathetic Character - Starts off with some synth and cymbals being lightly played. Very industrial feel to this. Much darker feel to this song. Now I'm getting some feedback in the song.

So far this album feels like Alanis is experimenting with different concepts to see how far she can push it.

That I Would Be Good - Some simple chords playing on a guitar while Alanis sings.

The Couch - Some ambient sounds play as Alanis sings. Drums come in making a Kind of jungle feel. Some ambient guitar drenched in reverb comes in. I dig this.

Can't Not - Ashes far as pop music goes, this isn't traditional pop music. This is all over the place with different stuff. I dig.

UR - some simple guitar plays while a bass pounds in the background to company Alanis voice. Song finds an outro with a harmonica.

I Was Hoping - Bit more industrial playing.

One - This album is going on too long. The music is good but I'm getting tired of it.

Would Not Come - Huh... This song has kind of a hip hop beat to it.

Unsent - Now we're being presented with some acoustic guitar with her voice. A simple drum beat comes in and with some orchestral stuff playing in the background.

So Pure - Starts with Alanis singing till the drums come in.

Joining You - Alanis says two words and then a guitar comes in and plays some power chords. We get more grunge pop and its wonderful.

Heart of the House - A very melodic song. I dig.

Your Congratulations - A piano plays while Alanis sings with lots of reverb on her. A Cello comes in to help the melody along. Now we have a violin as well. Kind of a boring song frankly.

Final thoughts: It feels like Jagged Little Pill was the teenage album and this is the adult album. It seems like Alanis is branching out and trying new things while maintaining the pop sound. Its a great album but suffers from how long it is.

☆☆☆☆
Blank. is offline   Reply With Quote