Music Banter - View Single Post - The Band w/ the biggest impact
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Expletive Deleted
Dancing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
Dont take everything Cobain says seriously, he would often cut himself down for his own amusement, or the medias amusement...You should know that in REALITY, Cobain acknowledged many influences other than Pixies, and i bet your ****ing ass the idea of Nirvana being a ripoff of Pixies would have never crossed your mind if it wasnt for Cobains quote....Forget the quotes, use your ****ing ears, listen to Nirvanas music and then Pixies music, if you think they sound the same, you are deaf.
Are you fucking kidding me? Do you have ears? I can see thinking that Nirvana aren't total ripoffs, but to say Nirvana and Pixies don't sound at ALL alike just makes it seem like you're in denial about the whole thing.

Quote:
Pixies innovated white noise?...Puleeze, several bands have done it before, including the Jesus and Mary Chain, Can, Sonic Youth...Even King Crimson explored the realms of noise rock with Larks Tongue In Aspic and Red...Sure Nirvana didnt innovate anything, neither did Pixies.
No shit bands did it before, but JAMC, Sonic Youth, and Pixies all released their most famous albums around the same time. And I'm not saying Pixies fucking invented white noise, or even played it the best, but they're probably the most well known out of all those bands, and the ones Cobain talks about the most.

Quote:
Bands steal all the time, Led Zeppelin did it, all punk bands did it, Pixies sure as hell did it...Its not like Nirvana are the only criminals, though they are the only band who get bashed for it on a regular basis, go figure.
I guess I should tell you now that the only band I find more overrated than Nirvana is Led Zeppelin, then.

As for the whole "Cobain is a prankster, don't take what he says seriously" thing, it doesn't make it a difference whether he joked about ripping off the Pixies, the fact is that he did do it, and the only people who deny that are Nirvana's biggest fans.
Expletive Deleted is offline   Reply With Quote