Music Banter - View Single Post - Help with the Basics of Composition
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
boccherini413
Groupie

Thumbs down Help with the Basics of Composition

Firstly, I'm new to the forums. Sorry if this is the wrong section. I always look around as a precaution. I also think I picked a terrible title, but I'm not yet sure how to change it.

So I've just started composing, on and off for the past few months. I'd say I've become pretty good at reading rhythms and constructing them due to the practice I've had, but I am not yet at a point where I can compose something on my computer as fluidly and brilliantly as I'm able to play it on Piano, Viola, etc.

My main problem is the fact that as I stop playing to write whatever I had come up with down, I lose it really quickly. I have hundreds of melodies that have come and gone within minutes, it's very frustrating.

I can write things when I just sit down and come up with a melody in my head, but it sounds terrible, dull, bleak, etc.

Do you guys do anything to help write it down in time? Do you do some sort of outline? Recording? I've tried a few of these things but I'm in limited on time, in terms of when I can play my stuff.
boccherini413 is offline   Reply With Quote