Music Banter - View Single Post - The Band w/ the biggest impact
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #63 (permalink)
Muzak Geek
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted
Speaking of Kurt's death, how famous do you guys think Nirvana would've been if he hadn't died? Ask anybody who was around when Nirvana got big how much bigger they got after Cobain committed suicide.
If you're asking someone who was around when Nirvana got big (and I was), about how much bigger they got after his death - then I agree with what I think it is that you're trying to say here… Nirvana's popularity DID explode after Kurt's death. But, really… so what?

All sorts of artists become huge after they die… especially young. Jim Morrison, Otis Redding, Shannon Hoon, Jeff Buckley, Bradley Nowell - These are all talented people who recorded very little music during their lifetimes. But the music they did record was, in my opinion, timeless and important. And - they all became more popular the longer they were dead.

And, just like the above mentioned artists - I don't think that Nirvana's increase in popularity after Kurt's "suicide" diminishes the quality of their music. Kurt may have played a bit sloppy. But as a band, Nirvana made some damn good music with him writing the songs.