Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2017, 10:45 PM   #919 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerspaceboy View Post
N.A.S.A. - The Spirit of Apollo

The best and most succinct description of this record comes from RYM user, aphexquan, who sums it up thusly:

Quote:
I didn't set out to agree with Pitchfork on this one. But really, they're disapproval here is apt.
The problem is that there are WAY, WAY too many cooks in this kitchen. The result is an unshakable aimlessness to it all. The tracks seem half-conceived and lack any impact or memorability. The lineups preceding each track set up the listener with great anticipation, but sadly nearly every selection leaves you staring blankly, asking, "is that it?"

Perhaps the greatest disappointment was the flat-falling unfunky "There's a Party" feat. George Clinton. Like many other songs here, the biggest names touted in the liner notes end up playing minimal roles in their respective tracks, and the result is sadly unsatisfying. The listener is left wondering about the lost potential of this record.
I can't say I disagree with your review of the Spirit of Apollo. The album is a mess and there is a lot, and in some cases too much, going on all at once. In the end, I think the difference in how you rate the album will come down to what your level of expectation is when seeing all those features and collaborations. Or, if you're a bleeding heart like me, whether you give points for even trying something like this. It's NASA's debut and only album, and I can't say either of those facts surprise me when I hear this album/collection of songs.

While I will not fight anyone who says this album is a mess, I do disagree with Pitchfork's view that the album is a disaster. This album needs some proofreading and editing, not a page 1 re-write. Cut out a few songs and maybe tighten up some of the individual tracks and I think you'd have something pretty solid.