Music Banter - View Single Post - The Country, Folk & World Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2017, 02:15 AM   #734 (permalink)
Chiomara
mayor of spookytown

Michael Hurley!! It's nice to see him mentioned. Do you like Jackson C. Frank too, frown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
^ HaHa! That is a great description! The difficulty is finding anything, though.
Petula07, who used to post here ages ago, strongly recommended the band Altan Urag from Mongolia, and in return I recommended Andrey Vinogradov to her. I hope one of them kicks you in the gut, Chiomara - in the nicest possible way of course.

P.S. Yes, surely there is some angry freak-folk genius who does more with the genre than play coffee-shop background music, or horror-movie soundtrack music, which is what it makes me think of usually. Perhaps I'll check out some more Fursaxa as Frownland speaks highly of them.
I always enjoy throat-singing, but I especially enjoyed the second video! And, I too think Fursaxa would be worth investigating, though I personally haven't listened to much of them. (They're not in the coffee shop background music category, at least. And I for one would be thrilled to have more "horror movie soundtrack"-esque folk aside from Chelsea Wolfe and other similar artists, not that I don't like them.)

..Yet again I have no songs to post. I'm extremely picky about vocals; I've complained before about the lack of strong vocals in my preferred type of folk music and it really is exasperating. I don't necessarily require Diamanda Galas type howling-in-the-bowels-of-hell-levels of passion/crazy vocal strength, though that would of course be great. Oh, actually, typing that made this song come to mind; I've always wished it were longer:

^ I need more like that. I love songs which sound like dirges emanating from the underworld.
Chiomara is offline   Reply With Quote