Music Banter - View Single Post - What TV shows are people watching?
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 12:56 AM   #5369 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

Just finished watched the Netflix series The Keepers. It's being billed as the next Making a Murder, but I'm not sure that's fair or even appropriate.

Making a Murder is about the how of a murder. It exists in it's own little bubble of that specific murder and there's a fair amount of true crime pulp to gorge yourself on as you watch it.

The Keepers is about the why of a murder. While the framework of the story is about the mystery of who killed a nun, the documentary is more about the (breaking news!) rampant sexual abuse of the Catholic Church and how it has affected the lives of the victims. The second episode is mostly a full hour of graphic and disturbing recollections of the actual abuse by one particular Catholic priest. It's nightmarish in how blunt it is talked about.

It's more like the giant ESPN OJ documentary, than Making a Murderer. So, if you were one of those people who like to have that water cooler talk discussing theories of the murder in Making a Murderer, The Keepers isn't going to allow you to do that.

I do think it is better than Making a Murderer and is definitely worth a watch. It's only seven, hour-long episodes and they go down pretty easily.