Music Banter - View Single Post - 10 Books Everyone Should Read
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #123 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
In my mind, one needs to understand Christian philosophy in order to appreciate that story. Whether you read the Bible itself or some scholar's interpretation doesn't really matter, but I included the original source.
You really don't. There's enough information about Christianity around from movies, other books, novels, and of course the Church themselves that I imagine the percentage of people who have actually read the Bible - as in, read it all the way through, not just a few passages - other than the clergy obviously - would be exceptionally small. And yet we all know about Christianity and the Crusades and Jesus and Pilate and the Crucifixion and all that stuff.

Absolutely not essential reading. Do you need to read Mein Kampf to learn about Hitler? Or The Origin of Species to know about Darwin? This stuff is readily available from other sources, multiple sources. By all means, read the Bible if you want, or feel you need to, but don't quote it as a book everyone should or needs to read, cos that just is not true.