Music Banter - View Single Post - The Last Chance Saloon
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

All right, let's get this over with.

Title: The X Factor
Artist: Iron Maiden
Genre: Heavy Metal
Year: 1995
Why this doesn't cut it: Odd thing to say about a Maiden album, but it's just ****ing boring. I can't even lay the blame on the new singer, cos although Blaze Bayley is no Bruce Dickinson, he's not that bad, and it's not his fault this album sucks. He does lack the aggression of his predecessor however. But there are other (X) factors to consider here. Kicking off with an eleven-minute snooze fest was not the best idea, for a start. A distinct lack of energy all through the album, no sign of the humour which often permeates their songs (think “Holy smoke”, “Bring your daughter”, even “Iron Maiden” ffs!) and some very lacklustre guitar work. Okay, so Stevie was going through a divorce, but no need to make the equivalent of Phil Collins's Face Value for metalheads! Yeah, it's kind of hard to care, and that's not what I want or expect from a Maiden album.

God, this album just drrrrrraaaaaaaaggggggssssss onnnnn forrrrrrrevvvvvverrrrrr.....

Can you feel how low the energy is on this? Can you imagine headbanging, fistpumping or moshing to it? Neither can I. And I don't even know what moshing is.
Is there anything good about it? “Lord of the flies” is not without its charm. I guess “Man on the edge” has something going for it too, but that's about it really. Okay, “Judgement of Heaven” has some nice riffage
Has my opinion changed now? No. It's still easily the worst Maiden album ever. I can even stomach Virtual XI before this. Seriously.