Music Banter - View Single Post - MB's own Montana election
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chula Vista View Post
Well, something like 70% of the votes had already been cast via mail-in-ballot prior to the assault. Very common in a state like Montana where a LOT of people live was out in the sticks. Montana is the 4th largest state but ranks 44th in population.
^ Yes, it's true that "around 60%" [UK newspaper] of people voted before Gianforte was charged with misdemeanor assault, but those who voted for him were still signalling approval of the Republican party agenda, which is disappointing.

Quote:
Hell, I've yet to see the guy in a suit and tie. Even last night he looked like he was planning on going hunting right after his acceptance speech. Also, he make what seemed like a pretty sincere apology to his constituants and directly to the reporter using his name.
^ I haven´t seen his apology, but I´m cynical enough about Republican politicians to suspect that it was done for motives of self-interest and damage control. Plus, party boss Paul Ryan effectively, and publicly, told him to do it.

I consider Gianforte's first instinct to be more telling; to deny the facts and blame the victim. Gianforte only conceded the truth when three very credible eye-witnesses made it clear that he was lying.