Music Banter - View Single Post - 1983-2000 Vs 2000-2017
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 10:47 PM   #39 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
The 17 year thing is just to use 2000 as an arbitrary round number cut off point.

You make a great case for the oldest 17 year set. It's also very interesting to consider the impact sampling has had on how people think of new music. It's also interesting to consider what Frown said about there being an actual physical scene as opposed to a more online less need for face-to-face experience. Maybe the less visceral online experience makes people less inclined to be a part of something they feel is revolutionary.
Thanks, I wanted to make even a greater case, but I didn't want to be too wordy about it.

Well I'm sure people who like EDM, dub step etc think they are part of something revolutionary (as far as music innovation goes), and they gather at clubs so there is still a social aspect to it too. There always been time where you listen to music on your own or with a crowd. What has change is the size of the band starting with big bands of the Jazz era to a five piece R&B band to fourrpiece Rock band etc etc then down to a single DJ. You loose that face-to-face when you loose the need for musicians.

I think the internet sorta reclaims listening to music being a social event. When people would listen to the radio or records/CDs own thier own, that kinda thing replaced music being a social event where you would gather at a dance and listen to music and socialize. Listening to recorded music is often times a solitary event, even now e.g. listen to music on your ipad with earbuds. Music forums and social music streaming website (e.g. plug.dj) get people socializing over music again. Still not quite the face-to-face experience though as a band and a live crowd.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote