Music Banter - View Single Post - 1983-2000 Vs 2000-2017
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2017, 01:25 PM   #64 (permalink)
RJDG14
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Interpol and Muse are bands that I respect.

Maybe they're winding down but The National maybe. If anyone more tuned into the pop side of things wants to please chime in. I think the National are worth listening to but their sound harkens further back. This next statement doesn't directly deal with your question but I think you'd do better to spend your time with Purity Ring.

You're 83 list demonstrates more sophistication in my opinion. For the recent stuff I think you're listening to the wrong stuff.
I took a musical preference test a few weeks back and got a higher score than about 90% of people in the unpretentious category, and a higher score than about 80% of people in the intense category. In your opinion does this reflect in the examples I gave in the 1983/2000 lists?

A modern exception would be that there's one recent band called Total Babes whose music almost completely fits in with the late 80s Dinosaur Jr and My Bloody Valentine stuff, in particular songs such as "We'll Come Around" (the keyboard sound even reminds me a little of some of the Husker Du keyboard).

Unfortunately I seem to be the only person I know my own age who likes the style of music I like. Virtually everybody else I know my age likes primarily mainstream 2010s pop or 2010s "alternative", which I find just as forgettable.

Last edited by RJDG14; 06-06-2017 at 01:31 PM.
RJDG14 is offline   Reply With Quote