Music Banter - View Single Post - get to know your fellow MuBa's
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2006, 07:00 AM   #59 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

My name is Tom, or Tommy.
I'm 24 years old although club doormen always insist that I look about 19 (and then check my I.D., as if 19 year olds weren't allowed into clubs?).
I'm 5 foot 10 inches, about 11 stone and naturally mid-blond. I don't understand the difference between ' and '' when it comes to imperial measurements. Thank god for metric.
I'm 178 cm and 67 kg.
I'm at Birmingham University studying a PhD in chemical engineering, which is why I moved to Birmingham 6 months ago. So far, so good, I get paid trips to conferences around Europe (Salzburg? Yessss) and all the gold I can eat.

I play music a lot and this probably constitutes about 90% of my total time spent listening to music. I play the keyboard and guitar and sing and I'm pretty darn good at it (well, maybe not the guitar playing). I'm in a band called 'Jodi Lee Parker', writing and playing all our own music and spend a lot of time writing and arranging music with them. Technically, we're a really good band and songwriting wise we're making a lot of progress... possibly the best thing about the band is that everybody in the band is equally good at what they do and as a result each is convinced that they are the weak link of the band and is constantly trying to improve to catch up with the other members. Well to be honest, I probably AM the weak link!

Apart from playing music I spend a lot of time hanging out with friends, usually in cafes or pubs. The majority of my friends in Birmingham are international students (don't know why this is), in particular a lot of chinese students. Partly because of this I can speak some chinese (mandarin), or to put it another way 'wo hui shuo yidianr putonghua - keshi hai wo shuo de bu shi hen duo'. Whatever the reason, I seem to be a magnet for foreingers. Maybe its because I'm 'well travelled', while not being flighty, and usually deal well with people of other cultures and nationalities. Its probably not that, but, well I don't know why they like me so much... I've been to lots of other countries before, but am not really a fan of travelling as I feel pretty shallow and voyeuristic just passing through other people's homes to take photographs and souvenirs. I like going to a completely different place and then stay there for a long time, to get a better feel for what its actually like there.

Currently, I have a lot of female friends. A disproportionate amount. I estimate that I'm the token male friend for at least 50 girls in Birmingham and many more elsewhere. I am, however, not ***. In fact, I have a girlfriend and an extremely gorgeous one at that. My girlfriend is Indian and lives in Cornwall, which makes her just about the only Indian person in all of Cornwall. Any of you MB members who live in Cornwall and you see an Indian girl walk by, it might just be my girlfriend... I'm not going to tell you her name.

That's it for now, no more.

Oh, two last facts.

1. I'm not actually a huge music 'listener' as I hinted at earlier, I'm much more of a music player. Visiting places like music banter is a way in which i attempt to educate myself in this respect as I don't know much about current music, while many of the people on here do.
2. I generally make much more sense in person than I do when I write so please be kind when you read anything I've written!

That's all.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote