Music Banter - View Single Post - What's the huge appeal of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #130 (permalink)
Spectralmusic
Contemporary Composer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisnaholic View Post
Yes, tread lightly, please. Two things I would refute in your post:-
i) no-one is obliging anyone to over analyse anything. The approach I would encourage is to listen and decide for yourself if you like it or not.
ii) rock really became rock before Sgt. Pepper, not after.

If it's your opinion, go ahead and call Sgt. Pepper "subpar crap" but to call the Beatles "drugged up Brits" is a cheap way to belittle an extraordinarily talented band, and on what basis? Because they are British and because they took drugs. As I understand it, some American musicians have taken drugs too, but I've never heard anyone on MB dismissing "drugged up Yanks".
I use hyperbole a lot but my point isn't even anything against drugs.

1. People see too much into the Beatles and their place in the history of rock and music in general (as a classical fan too, I also believe the same of Mozart and Beethoven but that's another discussion)
2. Yes it is my opinion which I'm entitled to. The style, sound and songwriting of their music is just not as great as numerous other bands around the same time.
3. I think their acclaim comes more from the fact that they are the most well known and publicized band in the existence of rock, pop, post-blues/R&B, which gives them more god-like praise for innovations that we're already done before them but made them "notable" because of their said popularity
4. Yes, I like A day in the Life, it's good for what it is.

5. Probably other points too

I'm not in an angry mood, so I haven't prepped myself to make a full 15 points but hey