Music Banter - View Single Post - The worst albums of all time?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #73 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not talking about The Joshua Tree, I'm talking about U2 in general. That's why I mentioned one of their more post punkish songs from earlier in their career, when they were more of a post punk band. The criticism I see from you about them is that they're pretentious, but the only thing about them that I think anyone could reasonably describe as pretentious is Bono's personality. Their actual music, especially prior to Rattle & Hum, is streamlined and simple—not much room for pretense or bloat.
I've only listened to Joshua Tree and War since I couldn't find any good reasons there to explore the rest of their discography. Do you think I'd be into Boy? I might check it out soon. I don't know how I can explain the pretension that I find in Joshua Tree to you, but it beats me over the head with pretension every time I hear it. I think it's Bono's singing style. The bloat comes in the form of overreliance on pedals to make a not that interesting product probably.

Check out this simple and non pretentious album.

Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote