Music Banter - View Single Post - The Album Club 2017
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #987 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Pretend - Tapestry'd Life

I was curious at the album's opening. Elements of math rock were evident, but with a heavy dose of emo, which I am simply too old to ever be able to enjoy. The first track was pleasant, with enough going on to make it interesting so I kept listening. Unfortunately, it quickly became evident that all the album's cards were on the table by the end of that opening selection.

The remaining tracks were a smattering of minor variations on the first track's musical theme. The vocals were nearly identical from track to track, as was the guitar work, percussion, and bass. If there were something of greater substance here, perhaps it could function as a concept record or single-track effort, but two solid hours of the stuff really lost my interest. It was the same academic time signature play, lazy emo vocals, and crescendos and decrescendos for the entirety of the album.

Nothing repulsive, but perhaps worse - nothing particularly engaging. The album just... happens, and left little of an impression on this listener. Perhaps I'm in the wrong headspace for emo post-rock. Perhaps it comprises qualities which don't particularly appeal to my musical aestheticism. It isn't a bad record, but it just feels far too long without saying anything of substance. Not at all bad as sonic wallpaper, but not good for much beyond that.

5/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote